29 April 2020
Petteri Karisto, Department of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies , University of Zürich, email@example.com
I am a postdoc in Hanna Kokko’s group at University of Zürich. Recently, I finished my doctoral studies in the Plant Pathology Group of ETH Zürich. I have a B.Sc. degree in biology and M.Sc. in biomathematics from the University of Helsinki. I am interested in theoretical ecology. I am working on the interface of theory and practice e.g. combining mathematical models to experimental studies for improved scientific output. Application of theoretical results into practice really inspires me.
- Learning fast
- Lots of questions
- Lots of ideas
- Open sharing of ideas and plans
- 2019, Dr. Sc., Plant Pathology, ETH Zurich
- 2016, M.Sc., Biomathematics, University of Helsinki
- 2014, B.Sc., Eco-Evo, University of Helsinki
- 8/2019 – present: Postdoc at University of Zürich. Supervisor: Prof. Hanna Kokko
- 6/2016 – 7/2019: Doctoral student at ETH Zürich. Supervisors: Dr. Alexey Mikaberidze, Prof. Dr. Bruce McDonald.
- 6/2015 – 8/2015: Research internship at the University of Helsinki. Supervisor: Dr. Eva Kisdi.
Teaching and supervision experience
- 2017 – 2018 Supervised six and three months research projects of two master’s students.
- 2016 – 2018 Teaching in a practical course in plant pathology / microbiology. Three days course, three times. Additionally a one-day course once.
- 2016 – 2018 Lead a group of research assistants in projects related to the doctoral work. In total nine assistants, at maximum five at a time.
- 2014 Exercise instructor in an introductory course on linear algebra. Three months, 5h/week.
Publications (Scholar profile; OA = Open Access;)
- Oggenfuss U, Badet T, Wicker T, Hartmann FE, Singh NK, Abraham LN, Karisto P, Vonlanthen T, Mundt CC, McDonald BA & Croll D 2020: A population-level invasion by transposable elements in a fungal pathogen, bioRxiv OA: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.02.11.944652.
- Karisto P & Kisdi E 2019: Joint evolution of dispersal and connectivity, Evolution 73: 2529-2537. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/evo.13866. OA in October 2020: https://researchportal.helsinki.fi/en/publications/joint-evolution-of-dispersal-and-connectivity.
- Karisto P, Suffert F & Mikaberidze A 2019: Spatially-explicit modeling improves empirical characterization of dispersal: theory and a case study, bioRxiv. OA: https://doi.org/10.1101/789156.
- Ben M’Barek S, Karisto P, Fakhfakh M, Kouki H, Mikaberidze A & Yahyaoui A 2019. Improved control of Septoria tritici blotch in durum wheat using cultivar mixtures, bioRxiv. OA: https://doi.org/10.1101/664078
- https://www.doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2019.01355. , , ,
- Karisto P, Dora S & Mikaberidze A 2019. Measurement of infection efficiency of a major wheat pathogen using time-resolved imaging of disease progress. Plant Pathology 68: 163–172. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ppa.12932. OA: https://doi.org/10.1101/318204.
- Yates S, Mikaberidze A, Krattinger SG, Abrouk M, Hund A, Yu K, Studer B, Fouche S, Meile L, Pereira D, Karisto P & McDonald BA 2019. Precision phenotyping reveals novel loci for quantitative resistance to septoria tritici blotch in European winter wheat. Plant Phenomics 2019: 3285904. DOI (OA): https://doi.org/10.34133/2019/3285904.
- Karisto P, Hund A, Yu K, Anderegg J, Walter A, Mascher F, McDonald BA & Mikaberidze A 2018. Ranking quantitative resistance to Septoria tritici blotch in elite wheat cultivars using automated image analysis. Phytopathology 108: 568–581. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-04-17-0163-R. OA: https://doi.org/10.1101/129353.
- Yu K, Anderegg J, Mikaberidze A, Karisto P, Mascher F, McDonald BA, Walter A & Hund A 2018. Hyperspectral canopy sensing of wheat Septoria tritici blotch disease. Frontiers in Plant Science 9: 1195. DOI (OA): https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2018.01195.
- Karisto P & Kisdi E 2017. Evolution of dispersal under variable connectivity. Journal of Theoretical Biology 419: 52-65, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtbi.2016.11.007. OA: https://www.mv.helsinki.fi/home/kisdi/pdf/Karisto_Kisdi_2017_JTB_AuthorVersion.pdf.
Grants & Awards
- 2019. 5000 euros personal grant for supporting successful young scientists. Emil Aaltonen’s foundation.
- 2018. 5000 euros personal grant for doctoral candidate abroad. Jorma and Märtha Sihvola’s foundation.
- 2015. Grant of 1000 euros for undergraduate student for good study progress. The Mathematics and Science Fund, University of Helsinki.
- 2010. Bronze medal in the International Biology Olympiad.
- 2010. Bronze medal in the International Geography Olympiad.
- 2010. Stipend of 1000 euros for excellent performance (63–66/66 points) in mathematics in the matriculation examination of Finnish high schools. Technology Industries of Finland Centennial Foundation.
- Improved control of Septoria tritici blotch in durum wheat using cultivar mixtures. ISCLB 2019 – International symposium on cereal leaf blights, May 22-24, 2019. University college Dublin.
- Spatial spread and infection efficiency of asexual spores of Z. tritici. Zymoseptoria tritici community meeting, September 6-7, 2018. ETH Zurich.
- Two types of resistance against Septoria tritici blotch. Invited talk at Regional Workshop on Current and future research on STB of Wheat, April 20–22, 2018. National Agronomic Institute of Tunisia.
- Two types of resistance against a major wheat disease Septoria Tritici Blotch. Biology18 – the annual Swiss conference on ecology, evolution, systematics and conservation, February 15–16, 2018. University of Neuchâtel.
- Epidemics of Zymoseptoria tritici – variation and control. Zymoseptoria tritici community meeting, September 5–6, 2017. Christian-Albrechts University of Kiel.
- Effects of global and local connectivity on the evolution of dispersal strategies. Biomathematics day, October 21, 2015. Centre of Excellence in Analysis and Dynamics Research, University of Helsinki.
- Controlling a rapidly evolving plant pathogen – How to deal with the pathogen diversity? II Joint Congress on Evolutionary Biology, August 19–22, 2018. Montpellier. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327071159_Controlling_a_rapidly_evolving_plant_pathogen_-_How_to_deal_with_the_pathogen_diversity
- Measuring resistance to Septoria tritici blotch in elite wheat cultivars using automated image analysis. BSPP – BMS Joint Presidential Meeting 2017 – Fungal Control and Exploitation, September 11–13, 2017. University of Nottingham.
- Two types of resistance against a major wheat disease. World Food System Center Research Symposium, October 25, 2017. ETH Zurich. http://www.worldfoodsystem.ethz.ch/outreach-and-events/past-events/symposium-2017.html
- Evolution of dispersal under variable connectivity. Mathematics of Life –conference, March 7-10, 2016. University of Helsinki.